Following the recent release of the Microsoft Office 2016 final RTM version, corporate customers can initiate their transition to new office platform. This article will discuss the features of MS Office 2016 activation with KMS. This takes place after you have install and activate the KMS server on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Corporate clients are no longer required to link Microsoft activation server on the internet as using KMS-server enables organization network to make use of their Office products.
- This guide applies only for 2006 Office Enterprise clients excluding 365 Office ProPlus.
MS Office 2016 KMS does not activate the previous versions of MS Office. To activate a previous version at your KMS server you will have to set up the appropriate extensions and activate them.
Make sure that your computer meets the requirements:
- Windows 7 with KB2757817
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 2008 R2 server with KB2757817
- Windows Server 2012 / Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows 10
There are two type of MS Office 2016 activation methods:
- Activation with KMS server
- The Directory-Based Activation that requires at least Windows 2012 Server.
First step: find and copy KMS key for MS Office 2016 at personal Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
Second step: download KMS — Microsoft Office 2016 Volume License Pack here –
You need to run downloaded file (office2016volumelicensepack_4285-1000_en-us_x86.exe) as administrator from your KMS server.
During installation the Volume Activation Tool will appear at the console window; you can either use the ADBA or KMS.
MS Office 2016 KMS activation method
- If you are going to use the KMS activation, choose the Key Management service, set your KMS FQDN and KMS key (KMS Host Key) obtained earlier.
- Select the activation method by either using phone or online. During initial stage, provide direct Internet connection.
- After activation of MS Office 2016 via KMS, there would appear window with your current KMS configuration.
- There must appear Name:Office 16, VOLUME_KMS_channel in the list of products with Licensed status.
- Close the Volume Activation Tools. After this Software Protection Service will be restarted.
The Directory-Based Activation
If you want to use Directory-Based Activation method, you will need to choose it at Select Volume Activation Method in your Volume Activation Tools wizard (this method applies for clients that run on Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 and Windows 10).
Then you need to specify KMS key (CSVLK) and enter display name for new activation object (optional).
Your remaining task is to activate the KMS key.
Close the VAT windows after updating utility console windows. Press Enter. Get information on installing KMS key through SKU ID:
slmgr.vbs /dlv 98ebfe73-2084-4c97-932c-c0cd1643bea7
Now you are ready to start activating clients.
Procedure on how clients activate their server:
To activate new Office on client’s computer, run these commands in Command Prompt as administrator:
- CD \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
(If you are using 32-bit MS Office version installed on 64-bit Windows, you need give this command:
CD \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16 )
- Specify names of server: cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:kms01.yourdomain.com
- Activate the product:
cscript ospp.vbs /act
- You can get the present status of activation using this command:
cscript ospp.vbs /dstatusall
For activating, you must have reached a minimum of 5 customer’s activation requests.
GVLK keys for Microsoft Office 2016
Usually, the ADBA object activates MS Office 2016 installed on the PC automatically, as long as the computer has a Generic Volume License Key (GVLK) installed. Therefore, usually GVLK key is not required.
But just in case, below you can find a list of official public GVLK keys for products from MS Office package, which must be used during clients activation with KMS server.
|Product||GVLK keys (KMS keys for clients)|
|MS Office edition||XQNVK-8JYDB-WJ9W3-YJ8YR-WFG99|
|MS Office Professional Plus 2016||JNRGM-WHDWX-FJJG3-K47QV-DRTFM|
|Project Professional 2016||YG9NW-3K39V-2T3HJ-93F3Q-G83KT|
|Project Standard 2016||GNFHQ-F6YQM-KQDGJ-327XX-KQBVC|
|Visio Professional 2016||PD3PC-RHNGV-FXJ29-8JK7D-RJRJK|
|Visio Standard 2016||7WHWN-4T7MP-G96JF-G33KR-W8GF4|
|MS Excel 2016||9C2PK-NWTVB-JMPW8-BFT28-7FTBF|
|MS OneNote 2016||DR92N-9HTF2-97XKM-XW2WJ-XW3J6|
|Microsoft Outlook 2016||R69KK-NTPKF-7M3Q4-QYBHW-6MT9B|
|Microsoft PowerPoint 2016||J7MQP-HNJ4Y-WJ7YM-PFYGF-BY6C6|
|Microsoft Publisher 2016||F47MM-N3XJP-TQXJ9-BP99D-8K837|
|Skype for Business 2016||869NQ-FJ69K-466HW-QYCP2-DDBV6|
|MS Word 2016||WXY84-JN2Q9-RBCCQ-3Q3J3-3PFJ6|
The product key can be optionally changed:
cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx